"I'll take a grande cup of insecure"
For those of you who are older and a bit more wise can you tell me: Do people change? Do they ever lose the undesirable qualities or do they just get worse over time? Do we get more motivated as we get older or do we slow down and stop making goals to attain?


3 Comments:
I wish that getting older implied maturity but it doesn't, some people are just grow up to be old kids. I have a brother, and several friends that refuse to grow up and be responsible and mature even though we're all just around the corner from 30. If a person doesn't see a problem with their behaviour, then they have no motivation to change it.
My own opinion anyway. I'm only 29 so not exactly all wise and stuff. :)
I think the answer(s) is "yes and no".
Oh, I get to use my CSI quote again..."What we are never changes; who we are never stops changing."
I beleive we have certain core traits that don't change without a lot of influence, but some more esoteric traits that are a whim of circumstance.
I believe that some qualities get worse over time, but some are just waiting on the right motivation to show signs of improvement.
I believe motivation can only come from within. You lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink without the SPCA getting all mad at you.
Goals change, for good reasons or bad. We can stop reaching because we have become happy with what we have, or because we have succumbed to our failures. Hard to say for the general case.
That's my opinion. I'm only 43, so I'm not exactly all wise and stuff. :)
Do people change? Yes and no, I'll agree with John and say that there certain core values, behaviours, and tendencies that do not change without considerable effort.
Do they ever lose there undesirable qualities or do they get worse over time? Mmmm ... pretty much the same answer as above. Some changes are possible (I no longer throw my dirty clothes behind the bathroom door and generally manage to more or less hit the dirty clothes hamper - but my general tendency to be "casual" ("messy" in wife speak) has not gone away).
Do we get more motivated as we get older? I don't think this changes unless you experience a lot of setbacks that just make you want to through up your hands and say, "Forget it!". But, as I get older, I become more conservative in my decisions and pursuits (after all I have a wife, two kids and mountains of bills) sinc eI don't want to inadvertantly have to start from scratch again.
Do we slow down and stop making goals to attain? Definitely not, but how we approach goals might change. As mentioned, I become more conservative (no more investing in Honest Bob's Sure Hit Diamond Expedition).
What I have noticed about growing older is that my body feels the effects of age more than my mind and spirit. And it is the physical limitations that define me more than my inner being. In my head and heart I still feel around 16 or so, but, my body is definitely 39. While I can still pull an all-nighter - recovery is longer.
As a teen I could get by on 4-5 hours of sleep a night. Now, if I go to bed after 23:00 I turn into a pumpkin the next day.
I think people tend to mellow as they get older.
Post a Comment
<< Home